Using Dosbox...

Started by Vulture, October 12, 2009, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulture

using dosbox, if i were to just get the WADs for chex quest 2 and 3 and put them into the same directory with the original chex quest WAD, would i be able to run them like that? and if so, where can i get just the WAD files?

Replica

Unfortunately you cannot. CQ3 requires ZDoom to run. You're on a mac correct? I don't think dosbox will work. Did you post a topic about your loading problem on Zdoom's forum?
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Replica on October 12, 2009, 07:16:15 PM
Unfortunately you cannot. CQ3 requires ZDoom to run. You're on a mac correct? I don't think dosbox will work. Did you post a topic about your loading problem on Zdoom's forum?

...Must...resist...

Replica, you do realize he already got CQ1 running on his Mac? And if he wanted to use the stolen CQ3, that would work.

I believe it would work, Vulture. Try putting -file chex2.wad after the regular command to run CQ1 and see if it works.

Ex.

...\Games\CQ\chex.exe -file chex2.wad

OR (if you have the chex2.bat file)

...\Games\CQ\chex2.bat

Try it out! :)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Vulture

what's the stolen CQ3? im really new to all this, i only got interested in chex quest again a few weeks ago after discovering i still had the cd, and ive been a mac user for a few years and well... i was never good with windows.

and yep, CQ1 worked. where can i find this stolen version of cq3? (that will work in DOS, right?) and what exactly is a .bat file and where do i find it?

at least DOS was easier to learn than i thought it would be, took me about an hour messing around before i figured out how it works.

i know i have a lot to catch up on and may seem to know nothing most of the time, but i appreciate the help everyone.

noob1234

you can download it here. its from the gallery.
i dont know anything about mac... but a .bat file is a batch file:
Quote from: wikipediaIn DOS, OS/2, and Microsoft Windows, a batch file is a text file containing a series of commands intended to be executed by the command interpreter. When a batch file is run, the shell program (usually COMMAND.COM or cmd.exe) reads the file and executes its commands, normally line-by-line. Batch files are useful for running a sequence of executables automatically and are often used by system administrators to automate tedious processes. Unix-like operating systems (such as Linux) have a similar type of file called a shell script.
DOS batch files have the filename extension .bat. Batch files for other environments may have different extensions, e.g. .cmd or .bat in the Microsoft Windows NT-family of operating systems and OS/2, or .btm in 4DOS and related shells. The now-obsolete Windows 9x family of operating systems only recognize the .bat extension.

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: Vulture on October 12, 2009, 07:34:33 PM
what's the stolen CQ3? im really new to all this, i only got interested in chex quest again a few weeks ago after discovering i still had the cd, and ive been a mac user for a few years and well... i was never good with windows.
It was an early mod made by somebody who took most of the textures and sprites from other wads. I think there's a list on the doom wiki. EDIT: and in the gallery. xD
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Lee-king

Wow =:-) I haven't used DosBox in a very long time. Perhaps I'll play around with it a little more today =:-)