Chex Quest 3 installer?

Started by Manny Cav, August 19, 2008, 10:53:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

You know how Home of the Underdogs has a downloadable zipped version of Chex Quest 2, but there is actually the original installer for Chex Quest 2? Well, Home of the Underdogs pulled a similar stunt for Chex Quest 3. This is, in fact, the only version of Chex Quest 3 that can be found on the internet, but the readme file suggests that there was also an installer for Chex Quest 3, like there was for Chex Quest 2. Look here:
Quote from: README3.txtWelcome to Chex
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Heh, the only place I ever found CQ3 was at Home of the Underdogs, and it was zipped, so I dunno...I prefer ZIPs anyway...
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

TrueDude

Back when we first got it it had to be installed, but I definitely don't have it anymore.

Atariangamer

I got mine from an old looking Home of the Underdogs...and it was an EXE that installed it with a batch file and everything...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Cool. I'm trying to get the original installer for personal reasons, as well as to preserve in on my website. I originally didn't want anything that has anything to do with Chex Quest 3 on my website, but I decided to host it up for historic reasons, anyway, because it's really not widely available, and if Home of the Underdogs goes out, its basically gone. Do you still have the original download of it, perhaps even in its original zipped format, if it was distributed as an EXE in a ZIP?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Aw, cmon! T_T its locked me outta my archives...and its not just laying around here somewhere...oh, man!

wait a second...hold the fone! I actually found it on Fileplanet, not Underdogs! (I first got it from an old looking underdogs, but the installer was from Fileplanet)

But...its not what you might think. Its a Clickteam installer for the CQ3 data...ick.

http://www.fileplanet.com/162231/download/Chex-Quest-3
if you want it...

Manny Cav

Very unusual. The chex3.wad from the "installer" is slightly different than the one from Underdogs. It's a a little less in file size and was altered a good 5 years later than the one from HOTU. Also, the installer had an icon, but didn't include the readme from the HOTU download. Were there two different installers made or something? ???
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

IDK...I first got CQ3 from HOTU in zip version. I later went looking, and didn't find the same looking page, so I got a different one...I was happy to find an installer, but now I know that was homemade...but what is wrong with it? anything missing? ... thats odd

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on August 20, 2008, 08:49:41 PM
but what is wrong with it? anything missing?
Quote from: Manny Cav on August 20, 2008, 07:04:53 PM
Also, the installer had an icon, but didn't include the readme from the HOTU download.
Also, after looking at the installer more closely, I discovered this message when you install it:
Quote from: chex_quest_3_install.exe
I don't care if you distribute this around! All I did was create the installation!
Note: you need chex quest 1 installed to run this!
Seeing as how this guy "only made the installer", then I'm now sure that this installer is not authentic. However, if someone decided to make in installer for a game that was released a few years prior (the icon from the installer was last modified in 2006, while everything else dates to around 2001), then it makes we wonder if there ever was an originally installer (though the readme still implies that there was). Then again, this may have been done simply because the original installer could not be found.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Y'know, you can get Clickteam Installer for free.  The guy prolly didn't have the installer, so he just went and made his own to make it easier to use for people.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods