Chex 3 with DOS? is that possible?

Started by Vulture, October 12, 2009, 10:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vulture

Ive finally gotten both CQ 1 and 2 working on my mac.

i used Crossover to "install" the exe files (which really just extracted them, a bit like the exe file just being a zip) then i moved the "install" file from crossover's directory into my home directory and opened it with DOSBox and it ran, but....

the only version of CQ3 i can find has revised versions of CQ1 and 2 included and made for a newer windows OS. ive heard it works in Zdoom, but for some reason Zdoom refuses to work for me, and when asking on the zdoom forum i got no reply (my thread has remained at the top of the forum for 3 days, that place is dead)

so... is there any version of CQ3 that will give me JUST the CQ3 WAD file that i can run in DOS like the other 2?

Replica

Vulture, please refrain from posting new topics for just one problem, instead, you should continue to post to one topic. *LOL Back Seat modd'n*

I'm not sure if CQ3 will work in dos box, because ZDoom came after Microsoft dropped dos. If you really want to play, you could always use another computer from a friend or someone with a windows.

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Vulture

heh sorry for all these topics, but... they can now all be deleted. ive got all 3 to run in dosbox just by experimentation (of course everyone who answered my threads was a great help)

i ended up treating the exe files kinda like zips and just extracting the .wad and .bat files from them and putting them in the directory with the CQ1 files, and all 3 will run in DOSBox. i could put it all into a zip (id include instructions) and put it up somewhere for download if anyone is interested, but... im thinking my setup seems really makeshift. anyone interested? this is a mac version btw.

ChexCommander

Sweet! Glad you got it working! If you'd like, you can upload a .zip or .rar to our Downloads section.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Vulture

yeah, ill be sure to do that. im really new at this, so id like some feedback to see if it works for everyone else.

Replica

... It makes no sense that you can run dosbox for mac... I guess I don't know any thing about macs.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

There's a DOSBox build for Mac. And Linux. And Wii.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

noob1234

WII?!?!?!?!? WOW!!!!
heh, i wonder if u could run CQ on a wii...

celebi23

Vulture, that's exactly what I did to get Chex Quest running, in DOSBox, on my Mac as well.  For the Mac users out there, Boxer is a great frontend for DOSBox
http://boxer.washboardabs.net/