Having trouble playing with sound effects

Started by OutragedMuffin, June 23, 2009, 02:35:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OutragedMuffin

First of all, let me say it's great to play this classic game again!  It's been years.  Aw, the nostalgia!

My problem is that if I play with sound effects, the game runs REALLY slow once an alien pops up.  The only way I can get sound effects (or music) is by going into setup and changing the sound effect settings to SoundBlaster.  All of the other programs mute the sound effects.  But I don't want to use SoundBlaster since it makes the game so slow...  Does anyone have any clue how I can keep sound effects but also have the game running smoothly?

xbolt

Welcome! ;D

Sounds like you're using the old DOS version. Why don't you try running it through DOSBox, or using the new Chex Quest 3 release which includes the two original games?

Manny Cav

xbolt speaks the truth, OutragedMuffin. Do yourself a favor and download the Chex Quest 3 compilation. You'll get updated versions of Chex Quest 1 and 2, plus an all new quest, Chex Quest 3.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

The best way to experience the classic Chex Quest is on a real old computer. Next best, a virtual machine running DOS or Win95. DOSbox has a few limitations that can crash the game, so while that may work for awhile, CQ2, I know, will not. Then you have Chex Quest 3, which is using the ZDooM engine (looks classic, but allows MANY improvements).

So, if you can use a Virtual Machine, thats the best way to use the original disk...else, just get CQ3, and make it easy on yourself. ;)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Hm? I got both CQ2 and the stolen CQ3 working just dandy on DOSBox.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

I've noticed a slowdown on the first level and last level that can lead to crashing as well (CQ2).
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Batmanifestdestiny

Quote from: Atariangamer on June 23, 2009, 11:11:53 AM
The best way to experience the classic Chex Quest is on a real old computer. Next best, a virtual machine running DOS or Win95. DOSbox has a few limitations that can crash the game, so while that may work for awhile, CQ2, I know, will not. Then you have Chex Quest 3, which is using the ZDooM engine (looks classic, but allows MANY improvements).

So, if you can use a Virtual Machine, thats the best way to use the original disk...else, just get CQ3, and make it easy on yourself. ;)
The only problem I've ever had with CQ2 and DOSBox is that the red-door glitch slows things down considerably for a few seconds when you open the red door in level 1.

If you REALLY want to run it with sound and whatnot, then try using VDMSound, a program that emulates the sound for you while you do the real DOS game.  It works great most times on stuff.

please visit my website.

Use the CQ IRC channel!