Chex Quest Gallery is NOT dead!

Started by Manny Cav, April 23, 2009, 07:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

Yes, I know that Chex Quest Gallery has been in a rut since before 4/15/2009. This has been unfortunate, but this is not the end of Chex Quest Gallery. I still have a complete archive of it on my computer that continues to get updated as if it was still online. I'll outline what happened in a brief manner.

My website is at http://chexquestgallery.nxserve.net/, hosted by NXServe. The single server holding all of the free accounts got abused. Resource consuming PHP scripts, Denial of Service attacks, you name it. To remedy the problem, the company got a better server. All websites became unvisitable, and all of the old accounts are nearing deletion. All previous website holders are being asked to register for a new account. This is what I'm trying to do. Unfortunately, there's some sort of messy user name issue that wasn't a problem when I first tried to sign up, but is a problem now. The support there is being quite slow trying to address my issue. My progress can be monitored here.

At this point, I can continue to prod NXServe, trying to get some justice with my sign-up error, or I can jump ship. wiweeyum has implied that he might allow me to have Chex Quest Gallery as a subdomain of his website at http://www.vioflem.com/. If I get the impression that the folks at NXServe will never fix my issue (I'm currently giving it one additional week), I'll ask wiweeyum if he'll give me a subdomain. Should THAT fail, I'll scrounge around once more for a free webhost that meets my needs. My archive is 437 MB in size, and I consume approximately 10 GB of bandwidth a month (I've never reached this number, but I've had days that go over 2 GB, so 10 GB sounds like a reasonable estimate). The largest file in my archive is 32.5 MB.

I want to get something done fairly quickly, as Chex Quest Gallery has become a widely recognized Chex Quest resource across the web, far more than I probably even realize. People Googling Chex Quest Gallery, hot linking my images on far out websites not even related to Chex Quest, nearly 500 views of the main page since a counter was added to it on 2/23/2009, stuff like that. I don't want to give people the impression that Chex Quest Gallery is dead.

I've got a few surprises in store for when Chex Quest Gallery comes back up, so stay tuned for updates on my Chex Quest Gallery situation. In the meantime, if you were formerly looking to download something from my website, but are now unable to do so, post what it is, and I might be able to provide a mirror of whatever it is.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

BRING IT BACK SOON! Cuz it *IS* the definite source for all things chex quest. *besides discussion and fan projects LOL*
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

Yes, there is so much good stuff to be found on that site....we need it back, man...
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

matthias720

More of same...  Please bring back the Gallery.  Sorry to nag, but I look forward to checking for updates every few days.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

Manny Cav

I told a slimmed down version of this story whenever Chex Quest Gallery's seeming departure from the web came up, but I wanted to put this out in a single topic to address this issue in a more formal, public manner.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Richie

You really have a nice collection up.  It's a shame that it's plagued by this.

Have you considered registering a domain name?  It averages around $10 a year.  Professional hosting would be extra (I pay $60 a year for this hosting), but there's plenty of free hosting options for domain names.  GoDaddy offers a free hosting plan for domain names registered with them.  There's advertising, but they give you a lot of space and bandwidth.

I'd offer you space on this server, but we don't have enough bandwidth for CQFF plus CQG.  XD

Manny Cav

I've considered a domain name, but I don't have a reliable means of paying for it (it's not the cost--I can afford $10 a year).

How much bandwidth do you have, and how much do you use?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Richie

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 24, 2009, 04:18:01 PM
I've considered a domain name, but I don't have a reliable means of paying for it (it's not the cost--I can afford $10 a year).

Shot you a PM.

The Slimeinator

Quote from: Richie on April 25, 2009, 11:01:02 AM
Quote from: Manny Cav on April 24, 2009, 04:18:01 PM

Shot you a PM.

Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Atariangamer

@Slime: SAVED.

@Cav: so we got about 4 days till the new home of CQG is decided?
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Chex Quest Gallery is back in business!!!

I am pleased to announce that Chex Quest Gallery is now officially hosted by Chex Quest Fan Forums. Richie has been kind enough to allow my website to be a branch of his www.chexquest.org domain and hosting. You can now find Chex Quest Gallery at http://www.chexquest.org/chexquestgallery/. I also pleased to announce that Chex Quest 4 has been found and uploaded. Special thanks to Dacicus for making this possible!

Well, what are y'all waiting for? Come on down!
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Richie

Glad to help.  :)  Maybe it's just my FiOS and I, but I'm noticing that your website is faster and more responsive on this server than it was on NXServe.  For those who are wondering, I checked, and we get 300 GB bandwidth each month.  O_O

ChexCommander

Woah. That's awesome! It'll be pretty hard to use that much in a month.  And CQG does seem faster to me as well.

EDIT: Also, it seems Manny's icon looks better. There's no more white outline, and it's a bit smaller.

matthias720

Looks good.  I hope if you ever find a new place for the Gallery, Manny, that it would be as nice as it is here.
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware