Chex Quest related oddities.

Started by Manny Cav, September 20, 2008, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

That might would help, but there's the possibility that Chex Warrior's IP address in his post there has expired, and I don't have access to the IP addresses there, anyway. I'll see if I can get an administrator's help.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wiweeyum

You know something that bothers me? There's no official date the game was originally released. I've seen both 1997 and 1996, but no date associated with them. I don't even know what quarter of 96 it came out in!

Manny Cav

It's stupid, I know, but I don't know for sure myself. xbolt told me 1997, so I just took his word for it and put that on my website. 1996 made sense, though, because of all of the copyright notices on the material and the fact that the latest file modify date I could get on any file on the CD was SETUP.EXE on Monday, November 11, 1996, 11:35:20 AM.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

Good idea. I'll give him a shout.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

I *THOUGHT* it was released 4th quarter '96, making lots of sales for the '97 year (after fresh boxes arrived with CQ in them and were placed on the shelves). If ya think about it, the cereal has a long shelf life, but by the time it is put up for sale, its only got a month till the "Sell By" date. So if the shipments arrived late '96, they might not have hit everywhere till early '97, making xbolt's claim valid.

...or I could just have no idea what i"m talkin bout. :D
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Quote from: wiweeyum on April 14, 2009, 02:16:05 AM
Weird. Those are all archives obviously, but is there a way to access profile information? Maybe some IP tracking could narrow it down.
An update to this: I now have Chex Warrior's IP address in his post here. The problem is that I'm a noob at IP tracking. I have the Domain Dossier on standby, but I have no idea how to use it to get a proper email address. :D Can somebody help?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wiweeyum

Haha! I'm a noob at IP's as well. I was hoping that since you were amazing at everything else 'internet detective', you'd know about that as well.

I guess it's time for IP 101. I'll post what I find.

Manny Cav

There are too many options at the Domain Dossier for me to sort out what I'm looking for. Again, I'm either going to need a guide or someone else to do this for me.

By the way, I sent another email to chexwarrior@: s p a m b e g o n e :hotmail.com, found here. The first one I sent on Feb 11, 2008 11:51 AM bounced because of, "550 Requested action not taken: mailbox unavailable," but this second one went through. I've seen it happen where an email would bounce because of a full inbox or some other error, then a later email would make it through. However, it's also possible that there's a new person using that address, and they just got a "wrong email," so to speak. I'm curious as to how this will turn out.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

I think Brain Candy knows a lot about IP tracking.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

You're right on that. ;) Still, I'm trying to learn this for myself if I can.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

matthias720

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 15, 2009, 10:23:24 AM
You're right on that. ;) Still, I'm trying to learn this for myself if I can.

OH NO!  MANNY IS GONNA TRACK US ALL DOWN!!! :o
:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

ChexCommander

Only the Admins can do IP Tracking, if I remember correctly.  ;)
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Well, only Admins can see the IP address on the current board. He's diving into lost territory to dig up what he can. Plus, if you have an IP, you can track it with the right tools.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny knows how to get the goods.  ;D

"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem