Chex Quest related oddities.

Started by Manny Cav, September 20, 2008, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I got mine out of a box. I still have the cd, too. it's so unusual how it has a clear band around the circumference of the cd.

Oh man I was so excited about it, I used to play doom as a kid (FAR too early... but that's a story for another time....) and this was just really fun. I remember dowloading CQ2, too.  That was nearly 13 years ago!!!! I can't believe it
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on April 05, 2009, 12:26:18 AM
I got mine out of a box. I still have the cd, too. it's so unusual how it has a clear band around the circumference of the cd.

Oh man I was so excited about it, I used to play doom as a kid (FAR too early... but that's a story for another time....) and this was just really fun. I remember dowloading CQ2, too.  That was nearly 13 years ago!!!! I can't believe it

Clear band? Mine doesn't have that...

I remember playing CQ and feeling the rush of adrenaline as a flemoid came up to you and slimed you. I remember those times when I wouldn't make it past E1M1, or could never finish E1M4.

I didn't download CQ2 from the official site...I found it around, say, 2004 from HOTU. That got me hooked on CQ again, but I soon forgot about it in a wealth of life and other games.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

The thing about Digital Cafe making Chex Quest 3 (stolen) won't stop rearing it's ugly head. I just encountered it again on GameFAQs. It's right there in plain text:
Quote from: Description
Chex Quest 3 is a Fantasy First-Person Shooter game, developed and published by Digital Cafe, Inc., which was released in 1998.
This thread in particular on the Board for Chex Quest 3 set my hair on fire.
Quote from: sheldonbunny
I myself was just looking it up today. I own the original disc of CQ, and downloaded the sequel awhile back. I had heard about this one, but thought it was fanmade. I was delighted to find out it was an official sequel.
Hair on fire! Hair on fire! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

I naturally had to do something about this by posting this. I'm going to shoot this junk down each and every time I see it. Still, the thing about that guy quoting HOTU further makes me believe HOTU is responsible for propagating this myth.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

EASY THERE MANNY!!!!

GFAQS mods are n*** about posts like that. I got flagged for trolling for saying something MUCH lighter than that.

I was just telling somebody off for spamming and I got modded.

It's your call, but I'd consider deleting and re-making.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

arch129

Eventually all this Chex Quest 3 Stolen mix up will be fixed.

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 08, 2009, 07:35:37 PM
Quote from: sheldonbunny
I myself was just looking it up today. I own the original disc of CQ, and downloaded the sequel awhile back. I had heard about this one, but thought it was fanmade. I was delighted to find out it was an official sequel.
Hair on fire! Hair on fire! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
LOL XD

Manny Cav

Quote from: 75 on April 08, 2009, 07:56:47 PM
EASY THERE MANNY!!!!

GFAQS mods are n*** about posts like that. I got flagged for trolling for saying something MUCH lighter than that.

I was just telling somebody off for spamming and I got modded.

It's your call, but I'd consider deleting and re-making.
Calling spam out and this are a bit different. I don't know what you did exactly (and I don't care for you to show me), but they really don't have any defense against me if they decide they don't want to be told they messed up. I already showed them what one of the creators had to say about it. I shouldn't need anything more than that.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Thats good you're trying. But it still contains Digital Cafe content. Unless you want to say its Digital Cafe edited by Charles Jacobi containing new content from Charles Jacobi and Andrew Benson.

But I see where you're comming from. Digital Cafe is no more, and this was a fun trip back for 2 or 3 of the members, not the whole crew. So, yeah.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

The Green Avenger

I believe the object in question is the STOLEN CQ3, AG...
Visit Chex Brigade, home of Chaos on Flemoid Prime!

The art of winning an argument is not so much proving your own point as it is systematically dismantling your opponent's point, leaving yours as the logical alternative.

It just sounded a bit strong, idk... I definitely agree something has to be done, though

Manny Cav

Quote from: The Green Avenger on April 08, 2009, 11:09:01 PM
I believe the object in question is the STOLEN CQ3, AG...
Correct.
Quote from: 75 on April 08, 2009, 11:15:14 PM
It just sounded a bit strong, idk... I definitely agree something has to be done, though
It's not strong, but it's to-the-point. The topic title is the real attention getter. I'm not sure if I did myself any favors putting three exclamation points at the end. I wouldn't be surprised to be gotten for that, if nothing else.

EDIT: I looked at the message board TOS, and there's a nice little bit there about "excessive punctuation" in topic titles. I deleted the topic, and remade it with the two extra exclamation points removed in the title, but with the same post content.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

xbolt

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 09, 2009, 12:25:48 AM
EDIT: I looked at the message board TOS, and there's a nice little bit there about "excessive punctuation" in topic titles.

That's a good rule of thumb for posting anywhere, even if the rules don't explicitly state it.

Manny Cav

Another chapter into the making of Chex Quest 3 has been 'discovered.'

Perhaps y'all remember when I made this topic in an effort to find a Chex Quest 3 installer that I wasn't even 100% sure existed. Well, I was doing some snooping--a LOT of snooping, and hardcore snooping, at that--to dig up old stuff and information for my website, and came across this at archive.org. It would seem as though there was an older file called Chex3BETA.zip. This was taken down by the owner of Chex Quest Mania on December 05, 2004 when he discovered that the content was taken from other WADs. I also remember the Demos download having a Chex Quest 3 demo, which must have been removed then, as well. The name of the file is different from the HOTU name of chexquest3.zip.

This supports my statement that HOTU didn't upload the original download of Chex Quest 3, but altered stuff and removed an original installer. Unfortunately, this removal of Chex3BETA.zip has complicated my mission of preserving old Chex Quest stuff, as I still can't find a download of this particular file, or even a hint at what the original download website of Chex Quest 3 might be (www.chexquest.net is suggested, but I've found nothing to back that up). I also remember reading about a thread on the old forums stating that someone faked being the Chex Quest 3 creator, but recanted under fire.

Does anybody here know anything about a Chex3BETA.zip, where the original website for it was, or a thread like the one I mentioned?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Oh wow Manny, you're quite an internet detective on all things CQ-related.  ;)

Hmm, I'm not sure if I even HAD CQ3 back then, and that seems an awful long time ago...who owned CQ Mania, anyways? Is there any way to contact them?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Manny Cav

The story on that is not good, either.

Someone like Richie or Loremaster who's been here from practically the VERY beginning could answer better, but the gist of it is that the owner of Chex Quest Mania made the first Chex Quest forums that were closed for some odd reason, prompting Richie to give a shot at it. There was quite a bit of confusion surrounding the creator of Chex Quest Mania due to some impersonating, but the creator was believed to be someone with the name "Chex Warrior" on the old forums. A record of this stuff can be found here, when someone under the name "Chex_Warrior" states his return, gets called the creator of a big-time website, then plays off of that assumption and causes some confusion, only for the real "Chex Warrior" to post later.

Unfortunately, even back then, it was well known that the email address at his own website didn't work, and it still doesn't, because I tried it several months back and the email bounced. I'd really like to get into contact with this guy, as well, but I just don't know how to do it.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wiweeyum

Weird. Those are all archives obviously, but is there a way to access profile information? Maybe some IP tracking could narrow it down.