The Facilities on Bazoik - Do they stack up?

Started by LAZ Trooper, October 21, 2010, 11:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZ Trooper

Last night in the chat QuadrumpusGuy and I were talking about possibly combining all 5 original levels into one level, and you just play straight through, but I knew that you couldn't really do it without doing invisible teleporting because the levels would have to overlap somewhat. So then I had to figure out how they would overlap and whether the whole place would be possible. So as a first step I took screenshots of each level in Doom Builder and then overlayed each one on top of each other, lining up the exit of one level with the entrance on the next, and this is what I came up with:

Cyan is E1M1, Yellow is E1M2, Green is E1M3, Red is E1M4, and Blue is E1M5. As you can see, they overlap quite a bit. But I wasn't satisfied with that, so I made quick 3D models of each level in Google Sketchup, and assembled them:

(note that in this one, E1M1 is blue and E1M5 is cyan and just a flat plane because it's so complicated and doesn't overlap much anyway)
Unfortunately, they don't quite work together, which saddened me. :'( However, with just a few modifications, it does work. First of all, I had to lower the two teleport-to storage areas in E1M2 down a little bit, but that's not much of a problem. The main problem is that E1M2 and E1M3 clash, so in order for them to coexist, you would need a lift between the exit of E1M2 and the entrance of E1M3:

But overall, this whole thing does work rather well, which is surprising, since I don't know if they planned it that much. There is that big beginning elevator in E1M4, which does assure that you get up to above ground, though. And interestingly, the labs are the lowest part of the the facility, even lower than the caverns, which means that the whole place must be built into the side of a mountain, with the arboretum and spaceport the only outdoor (or windowed) areas.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

ChexCommander

Ooh, wow, I never thought about combining all the levels. I like that.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Replica

Sounds interesting... but it is a modder's 3Dfloor nightmare!
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

LAZ Trooper

Unless you did magic teleportation to an identical room in the same map to make it possible...

And you wanted to combine E3M5 with E3M4 so you just enter the flemoid spaceship and keep playing.... E3M5 does not fit inside the one in E3M4. XD

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

QuadrumpusGuy

they don't have to be necessarily stacked. there could be halls, teleporters, etc. connecting some portions. You could do it all. But if you wanted to do it stacked, yeah, 3d floor/stacked sectors would come in handy.

noob1234

u can see the sky in some parts of E1M5...
but still, awesome idea!

MajorSlime

Quote from: LAZ Trooper on October 22, 2010, 12:24:30 AM
Unless you did magic teleportation to an identical room in the same map to make it possible...

And you wanted to combine E3M5 with E3M4 so you just enter the flemoid spaceship and keep playing.... E3M5 does not fit inside the one in E3M4. XD

Ask me about that. I can actually do that quite easily, and it will seem flawless, as if you just walked in.
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

Atariangamer

I had this idea long ago...and I ran into the same problems (and me being next to nothing with mapping, quit).

Its a cool idea, and would really raise the difficulty of the game.

then we just do this with each game, put it into 3 levels, and you're done!
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

ChexCommander

I wonder what all 3 games in one level would be like...XD

LAZ Trooper

One problem with actually building them stacked would make your map so confusing. And lighting differences could be tricky.

Also, you would either have to rotate E1M1 45 degrees, which would mean adjusting flats, or rotate the rest of the levels 45 degrees, which would be even more work. ::)

Current Projects:

Atariangamer

Well, I wondered...

it'd be an amazing undertaking, but why not remap the whole thing?

Draw out a good blueprint of the facilities, figure how its in the mountain or change some features to make it all fit, then map it out.

I'll break out the gridpaper and see if I can't figure something like this out.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

LAZ Trooper

I was actually thinking of doing a mod of some sort that updates/improvs the old levels, like it's the future and things have been improved. Like adding more rooms, different textures, that sort of stuff.

Current Projects:

noob1234

Quote from: ChexCommander on October 22, 2010, 05:44:41 PM
how would you connect bazoik to Ralston?

ChexCommander

Quote from: noob1234 on October 23, 2010, 02:08:05 AM

I dunno, that's a good question. Intergalactic transportation? XD

QuadrumpusGuy

Quote from: ChexCommander on October 23, 2010, 12:53:39 PM
Quote from: noob1234 on October 23, 2010, 02:08:05 AM

I dunno, that's a good question. Intergalactic transportation? XD

A stacked/3d floor area of space. stretching for 1000's of units