Chex Quest levels using DOOM graphics

Started by samuraiclinton, August 24, 2010, 03:24:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samuraiclinton

I think it would kick a** if we made a megawad that recycles the general information of the Chex Quest levels, but re-applies them with Doom textures.  I have noticed that some textures have looked discrepant when using DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD to keep E1M1 unaffected for transformation to DOOM resources, since DOOM.WAD and DOOM1.WAD have an E1M1 slot that woulda been overwritten for the DOOM gameplay session.

Here is footage of me playing a Chex Quest level with DOOM2.WAD as a PWAD:

I would hafta believe that the Storage Facility level (E1M2) would make a good UAC-themed level since the Chex crates are based on the UAC crate textures.

Quote from: samuraiclinton on August 24, 2010, 03:24:27 AM
I think it would kick a** if we made a megawad that recycles the general information of the Chex Quest levels, but re-applies them with Doom textures. 

hmm... you look familiar...

the easy way to do it:

extract all the patches from ultimate doom, and put them in a PWAD. Then, launch it with chex.wad as the IWAD.

This wouldn't work with chex3.wad, though, and there'd be a few patches lost in translation.

The safest way to do it would be to go into doombuilder and manually apply new textures to the chex quest maps.

It could be kind of cool if you did something like modify E2M5 into something like E1M3 of ultimate doom, but the idea doesn't interest me that much.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

mob720

Ive played Chex Quest using the Doom 3 weapons mod for ZDoom... who says conventional weapons wont work on flemoids?
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

Quote from: mob720 on August 25, 2010, 01:13:17 AM
Ive played Chex Quest using the Doom 3 weapons mod for ZDoom... who says conventional weapons wont work on flemoids?

the intro video XD

"Conventional weapons seem to have no effect on flemoids"
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Quote from: 75 on August 25, 2010, 01:17:06 AM

the intro video XD

Owned! XD
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

xbolt

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

QuadrumpusGuy

Would a Nuclear Weapon work on the flemoids?

LAZ Trooper

It would probably fry and splatter the slime in all directions, but in a few millennia, the slime would manage to congeal in a single area and reform into a new radioactive flemoid. ::)
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

samuraiclinton

The whole idea of using DOOM graphics in chex quest level designs is to give a whole new theme to existing levels (though some texture tweaking should be done to make the level more graphically consistent).

TrueDude

There'd need to be some serious refitting involved to make it work, but I'm sure it'd look pretty awesome, especially the sewers and caverns levels.

mob720

Quote from: 75 on August 25, 2010, 01:17:06 AM

the intro video XD

LOL thats what I meant when I said that XD

EDIT:: Doomguy disagrees:
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

TrueDude

If someone does do this, it should be built into a 32-level megawad for doom 2 with other things implented like newer enemies and such. Kinda like this:

MAP01 - Landing Zone
MAP02 - Storage Facility
MAP03 - Laboratory
MAP04 - Arboretum
MAP05 - Caverns of Bazoik
MAP06 - Spaceport
MAP07 - Cinema
MAP08 - Chex Museum
MAP09 - City Streets
MAP10 - Sewer System
MAP11 - Central Command
MAP12 - United Cereals
MAP13 - Villa Chex
MAP14 - Provincial Park
MAP15 - Meteor Spaceship

Other details would include renaming the Maps into more Doom sounding names, and maybe another 17 levels from other popular wads converted too, like The Lost Quest (7 levels) or Strifes levels. (also 7 levels)

noob1234

also, although its dormant, Generation 2!! (UBERHARD, but still.)

arch129

I would love to do this, but I have too much projects going on already.