Chex Quest Platinum Pack

Started by LAZ Trooper, August 12, 2010, 11:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZ Trooper

So I had this totally epic but completely impossible idea earlier tonight. If everybody could finish their mods, and if we were allowed to sell Chex Quest, we could created the Chex Quest Platinum (or Frosted) Pack, which would contain all of the mods people have made, plus the official games. It would all have a central menu where you get a list of all the game and you select which one you want to play. Then we could sell it in stores after getting General Mills to do an offer on cereal boxes for 20% off. Yeah totally not happening, but I couldn't resist throwing together a mock-up of the menu with a few mods as examples.

Chex Quest Multiplayer started Skulltag with the Chex Quest Classics is a subsection that contains the original Chex Quest and Chex Quest 2, along with Chex Quest 3 (Stolen), TUCQ, and possibly Strife's Level Packs could go there.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Datra

THIS.

This is what I've always wanted in a CQ game (partly because it would be awesome! and partly because I'm dumb with wad management)
CQHD Community Dev

MajorSlime

I make!

except probably a little bit different. Say a program that allows you to choose the game, and then launches it seperately?
Shh!  I'm taking a break from reality.

QuadrumpusGuy

This sounds like an awesome Idea!

Will there be patches for newer mods after the engine is created?

Datra

Or will this be like a Plug-n-Play program where you put the wad file into the folder and the program loads it onto the list?
CQHD Community Dev

ChexCommander

Yeah, we've had this idea before, just compiling a giant pk3 or something full of everyone's WADs and releasing it as CQ: Gold (or Platinum/Frosted) Edition. And I agree, it would be totally uber-awesome! Except we wouldn't sell it, methinks. XD
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

We can't sell chex quest 3

from CQ3 Readme.txt:

QuoteChex Quest 3 cannot be bought or sold under any circumstances.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Replica

Unless you want to be sued.

The was in the Read me because Chukker didn't want to have others sell his work, plus it would be illegal because of Chex Cereal being in it.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

MajorSlime

Yeah.

In other words:

I think the "engine" will be a program where you can add your favorite mods into via a user friendly interface (as well as link to whatever engines you have [GZDoom, Legacy, whatever]), and then you can select your mod from the program, and it'll run the engine with whatever parameters it needs (those will be self-inputed and saved when you add the mod).

Do ya like it?

By the way, this probably won't be done for a while with all my other stuff going on, but i'll do it eventually. Probably call it The Mod HUB or something. Probably would work with Doom, Hexen, and whatever else too.

Replica

It is possible to create several episodes, which will be the mods, but you'll have to convert to GZDoom.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

MajorSlime

that sounds like alot of work though  :P

LAZ Trooper

Quote from: ChexMaster2109 on August 13, 2010, 12:20:06 AM
Say a program that allows you to choose the game, and then launches it seperately?
That was pretty much my idea.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

TrueDude

A way to sell Chex Quest again could be to name it Cereal Quest... It wouldn't be the same but it might work.

Also, some of the WADs contain copyrighted material, like The Lost Quest I know had a Bomb-Omb in it, and other minor details for other ones. (I think Newmaps had Flying Battery music? No wait, I think it was some other mod)

Quote from: TrueDude on August 15, 2010, 01:14:42 AM
A way to sell Chex Quest again could be to name it Cereal Quest... It wouldn't be the same but it might work.

Also, some of the WADs contain copyrighted material, like The Lost Quest I know had a Bomb-Omb in it, and other minor details for other ones. (I think Newmaps had Flying Battery music? No wait, I think it was some other mod)

Wouldn't work. Charles Jacobi made the zorcher concepts, so he or general mills owns every graphic.

If we remade the zorchers a la freedom, we'd be all set.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

matthias720

:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware