Scientific Articles About Flemoids

Started by LAZ Trooper, May 11, 2010, 11:09:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LAZ Trooper

So yeah, just some stuff I wrote this afternoon...

The Life Cycle of Flemoids
Flemoid eggs are dormant until they are put in contact with nutritional substances, which then cause them to rapidly grow into a larva. Depending on conditions, the larva may either pupate or stay in its larval state, which continues to grow, and develops a very powerful slime attack. The ones that pupate lay dormant for a period of time, after which they emerge as one of the numerous species of Flemoids. The type of Flemoid that emerges depends on the amount of nutrition available to the larva. A larva in an area with low nutritional content generally turns into a Commonus or Bipedicus, while a larva in a highly nutritional area may turn into a Maximus or Flembomination. Flemoids with armor only come from the Flemoid Dimension. Flemoids appear to reproduce by creating eggs when they become an adult, which they then leave in potentially nutritive areas.

The Intelligence of Flemoids
Flemoids generally have only a rudimentary intelligence. The lower species of Flemoids (eg. Commonus, Bipedicus) tend to simply move towards any nutritional substances they see. However, the Flemoidus Cycloptis family and Flemoidus Larvae also have a simple defense mechanism, which is their zig-zag direction of movement. While still without intelligence comparable to cereal, the higher species of Flemoids (eg. Flembomination, Snotfolus) are slightly more intelligent than the lower species, allowing them to command them.

The Feeding of Flemoids
Flemoids feed on any nutritional substances they can find, whether it be fruits and vegetables or cereal. Flemoids absorb food directly into themselves by enveloping it with themselves. Larger food is subdued by coating it with slime, and then is saved for later consumption.

The Technology of Flemoids
Flemoids do not have very much in the way of technology, although their Giant Slime Ball Spaceships (GSBS's) are equipped with doors and elevators, possibly taken from cereal-inhabited planets. The GSBS's have little in the way of propulsion, mainly using planetary gravitational fields. The Flemoids have surprisingly developed simple portal technology, allowing them to transport Flemoids and GSBS's to other galaxies and dimensions.
Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

mob720

You bored often? ;) Nah, I think that was a good read. So they have external... what is it called? External digestion? Yeah, cool. Can the flemoids die? You didnt put that in the life cycle. :D
Still looking at my maps every now and then...

LAZ Trooper

I'm thinking maybe they die by just slowly degenerating, then just merging in with the abundant slime in the Flemoid Dimension.

Also, I just got an idea for the events leading up to CQ, so I might have an article about that soon.

Current Projects:
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Atariangamer

I have an interesting theory on zorch, and it kinda brings together a good bit of stuff, like some of the mods here.

Gimme a day or so and I'll type it up...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

LAZ Trooper

I was wondering about zorchers... Are they actually your standard phaser gun thing? Because in the CQ intro the guy says that they are "conventional weapons", but by calibrating their frequency to that of their teleporters, it works.

Current Projects:

Atariangamer

I think he said conventional weapons have NO effect on flemoids...nothing about the zorchers.

Basics:
Zorch was first discovered on bazoik, but was then found to occur naturally in the universe. It exists in 4 different forms, but liquid and phasing are the strongest.

It can create miniature portals to other dimensions, points in space, etc.
For this reason, it is mainly used as a construction and demolitions aid, as well as being good for removing small amounts of material (or rather large amounts) at a time. There is one or two frequencies that are known to be good for disposal, but they need to be sure not to cross the teleportation frequency, or risk sending trash to people's teleporters.
But, when used on a highlevel teleportation frequency, it naturally alligns with the celular structure in a flemoid to return them to their own dimensions.

More later :ninja:

ChexCommander

Liquid? Non-canon stuff from The Slimeinator's work, correct?

I mean, that zorcher was amazing. But I don't know if mod work should fit into official theory...I dunno.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Yeah, I have a whole story somewhere...

But liquid doesn't hafta be just Slime's stuff...His zorcher used it for a massive attack, but it could be used in a diluted form as an industrial strength cleaning solution. Just imagine, you're in the labs, and some toxic waste has been spilled on the concrete. Just pour on some zorch based cleaner on the floor, spread it around, and then squeegee it off to the side, and after a few minutes, its worked its way down to nothing.

Could also explain why we have special zorch boxes...they keep it shifting frequencies under intense electromagnetic pressure to prevent it from becoming wasted. just a thought.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Atariangamer on May 13, 2010, 06:41:08 PM
Yeah, I have a whole story somewhere...

But liquid doesn't hafta be just Slime's stuff...His zorcher used it for a massive attack, but it could be used in a diluted form as an industrial strength cleaning solution. Just imagine, you're in the labs, and some toxic waste has been spilled on the concrete. Just pour on some zorch based cleaner on the floor, spread it around, and then squeegee it off to the side, and after a few minutes, its worked its way down to nothing.

Could also explain why we have special zorch boxes...they keep it shifting frequencies under intense electromagnetic pressure to prevent it from becoming wasted. just a thought.

Hmm, intriguing. I like it.

noob1234

this is an interesting and important development in the area of cq science.

LAZ Trooper

Agh....

To quote the intro movie:
"What's worse, conventional weapons seem to have no effect on Flemoids."
"By recalibrating the phase frequency of our zorchers to match that of our transporters, we can send the Flemoids back to their own dimension."

From that it seems obvious to me that zorchers are their usual weapons and are a type of phaser....

Current Projects:

Atariangamer

I thought conventional weapons was just a nice, kid friendly way of saying GUNS. You could shoot bullets at them and it does nothing.

But if the zorchers were their 'weapon', why include that they were previously useless, but now aren't because they're teleporters of some kind.

Not to mention I'm wondering where you'd use a teleportation device as a weapon. Unless you're going Star Trek, and to me that makes no sense. Why not say that "We calibrated our zorchers to the phase frequency of our teleporters, so it will send them back to their own dimension." Its a little round about to say "We can't normally stop them; however, we just found a normal thing to stop them."

I always thought the zorcher was an 'unlikely weapon'. Why not use a modified shotgun or something? So, I always thought the zorchers were something strange, for an unknown electro-phase use that would have no purpose otherwise (or at least a purpose not as great as saving the universe).

My real original thought was that they were mini-teleporters. Like, point at an object, dial up your frequency for destination, and fire...it appears at that frequency's end point. This made sense by the intro movie's depiction, but in game, it wasn't so good as an explanation. I eventually evolved it into the fact that these are multipurpose removers, for multiple applications in art, construction, medicine, and cleansing and purification. Then, to explain their presence on Bazoik, they could have been used as mining tools to remove large rock particles and aid in the breakdown of certain materials to make it easier to extract the minerals they were mining. then, when you pick them up, you set the teleportation frequency, and it allows it to take affect to the flemoid substance, teleporting them to (tying in another mod) their giant interdimensional teleporter that got them teleported to a major source of natural zorch: bazoik. Then, because of their eating of the minerals, the moon became unstable, and started to become semi-volcanic, which expelled flemoids into space and rain back down on the other chex labs on bazoik, where they hatched and spread. But, this volcano also brought a slight earth quake, which uncovered a deep infestation of slime from the original flemoid teleportation, which was the flembrane. several miners went to try and collect the rich mineral samples of this deep chasm, but got caught by the flemoids. the other flemoids shut everything else down, and you got sent in to clear em out.

Because of the labs requiring cleaning, the mines requiring tools, (and who knows? it could also be used as a box cutter, an engine gunk remover, a hull cleaner, multiple purposes depending on how you feel about it), it explains their random locations around the facility.

Its a very awesome idea if you think of it that way, and explains a ton. Plus, why would they need phaser weapons in a research facility about MINERALS. do the chexonians revolt and go crazy, requiring offensive action? will they create a monster and need to keep it at bay? In a game about minimal/no violence, having the presence of a weapon, implied or otherwise, just doesn't fit. Especially when they went through a ton of stuff to make sure you knew they didn't DIE, they got sent back to another dimension.

Now, if it IS a phasing weapon, it could possibly explain Zorchmatches...then again, if you expose chexguy to enough industrial stregnth cleaner, wouldn't he zap, too? ...bad thought, but hey...

IDK, that was my explanation of the zorch/zorcher thing. Think as you wish.

Read some of my fanfictions, I think I had a pretty good one about the history that I made up. http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?topic=1918.0

This probably conflicts HORRIBLY with the story line, but it explains that the normal teleporters are a synthetic form of zorch that glows purple instead of red, and each has a certian frequency to connect the two. IDK, something.

Atariangamer

Pardon the DP for my huge thesis on zorch:

Zorch exists in 4 major forms: Phasing, Solid State, Liquid, and ElectroStatic

In its natural condition, it is found quickly moving between these forms. It is considered raw at this point. Any introduction of any inhibitor, conductor, insulator, activator, or stray electronic or magnetic ray will cause it to stick in its present form and slowly (or rapidly, depending on other variables and the selected form) disappear, taking with it a section of the material surrounding it. Upon its discovery, it was exposed prematurely and stuck in the ElectroStatic state. It immediately took residence inside the nearest metal piece and slowly dissolved it to pieces. Upon further investigation, it was found that it actually whisked it away to another dimension, in a different time and a different space. It created a huge rush about time travel, but there were no practical applications of zorch at this time, so the craze soon died down. ElectroStatic zorch was put on hold as a tier-3 research, giving more focus to space travel and construction. After a successful new space program starting the construction of an IFoC space station, more focus was put on zorch, due to a resurgence in its mining.

Around this time, it was found that different frequencies could change the properties of the zorch, but at the cost of lifespan. After this, the first conclusive study of the Solid State zorch was published. It detailed its ability to dissolve into the air, purifying it of all foreign particles and leaving fresh oxygen. Adding a small carbon filter, it became the universe's first rebreather, enabling underwater exploration without the SCUBA gear, as well as longer space voyages. It became an integral part of the IFoC space station, permitting permanent residents and limiting air system maintenance to simply replacing the filters. It was also used in several air fresheners, disolved into a liquid solution and sprayed into the air, removing odor causing particles and replacing it with clean air and fragrance.

This is when the shelf life of zorch was fully realized. Several companies went out of business after selling 'defective products'. It seemed that after 2 weeks, the zorch would eat away some of the can, and leak the contents. As scientists researched the problem, they used an implementation of amplitude modulation electromagnetic fields in each can to keep the zorch from phasing out. This quickly became the container of choice for any zorch material, as it prevented it from both changing forms and phasing out. They also created a non-conductive metal to store the ElectroStatic, which was then able to be used in material removal lasers, first discovered by a civil engineer. He tried using the ElectroStatic to power a battery, but instead created a concentrated capacitor and emitter, which produced an invisible but destructive beam of zorch energy. Extensive testing was done to see if this affected living people, and was found to amazingly bend around the skin's repulsive magnetic field. When extremely focused, it could realign the polarization in the electrons in the molecules making up a human, which could cause minor phasing of human tissue. But the power required to do this and the amount of focus put on the test subject in question would never happen in a normal circumstance. Still, it was not advised to be in front of any of the early (or even modern) ESZ Material lasers.

Later, scientists captured the first stable phasing zorch isotope. Its half life was extremely short, and was nearly unusable, until it was fed through a dish. Reversing a satellite, they were able to stretch the phasing energy to a constant struggle to stay apart, but collapse together. The resulting conflict made it stable, and prevented its phasing out until it came in contact with a material. It was also found not to have much of an effect on minerals and special metals, but took out common materials almost instantly. It quickly became popular in mineral mining, where the rock could be hammered with phasing zorch till the minerals and other precious metals could be collected. It was also discovered that it could mix with an ElectroStatic transformer to create a major, widespread effect of phasing, including after radiation of several lightly focused ESZ beams. It was used to weaken the structural integrity of large walls, and found wide usage in demolitions and excavations.

Liquid zorch is very recent, and very unstable and unpredictable. It has the properties of molten metal, but the power of phasing, with the basic structure of ESZ. it was found to be able to stand alone, but required a massive energy source to keep it charged and stop phasing out. No real application has been found, although rumors of testing have been circulating...

Also, somewhere between ESZ and Phasing, they discovered its multiple photonic properties. it could be used for a complex light machine, and a basic quantum computer. by crossing several ESZ streams, one could compute the structure of an object and transmit it via fiberoptics. To get it to run through fiber, they had to synthesize another frequency or two into it. the overtones created by this synthesis could pass through most any substance, yet easily channeled under the right circumstances. The complex frequency turned the characteristic red zorch glow into a purple one. A form of blue zorch has been further synthesized, but has a half-life of merely a second when applied. No true usage or counter to this problem have been discovered.

To explain its usability against flemoids, most teleporter frequencies are tweaked to a certian degree to account distance, speed, and comfort. when added to the synthesized zorch, it makes for a different styled teleport. When added to a red zorch, it changes its focus from a good distance to a very short one. ESZ beams, if allowed to go long enough, could easily obliterate anything they hit. When the frequency is amplified like a teleporter is, that distance is cut to almost 1/128th, allowing for a very short ranged, explosive blast. However, handheld zorchers are nowhere near as powerful.

The spoon is an alloy of conductive and non-conductive metal impregnated with ES zorch. It allows for fast cutting of materials.
The bootspork is a similar alloy, but is constantly charged instead of singularly charged. Efficency goes up by almost 10%, while accuracy goes way down.
the minizorcher is designed to break open small rocks and do simple cutting and cracking.
The rapid zorcher is designed for a rapid, semi-concentrated hammering on an area.
the large zorcher is built to hammer hard, requiring more zorch to do so. Used for metal cutting mostly.
the propulsor is a miniature, concentrated, and longer lasting phasing package. it releases the full force of an unfixed phasing blast upon impact.
the phasing zorcher is a portable application of the phasing dish. it allows for massive material removal, fast. Mostly used for tunnel digging.
the LAZ is a combination of the propulsor and the phasing zorcher, combined with an aftershock of ESZ. For massive structural damage, purposes unknown.

Flemoid slime is naturally vibrating at a frequency close to their own phasing point. a living thing has a much lower phasing point, which is why it takes so much zorch to start a phase out. Flemoids need only a small, concentrated blast or two to realign them, and basically teleport them back to the frequency origin, which seems to be their own dimension, location unknown. The teleporter tuner frequency seems to do the trick for zorch to align a flemoid correctly. However, it retains its teleporter properties, and has no effect on the environment or other materials. However, it might just have an effect on living things. Nobody is eager to try it out, so we can't be sure.

I hope this thoroughly explains the history and usage of zorch in the modern and classical setting.

- - - - - - - - - - -

OK! So, that's my rambling article on zorch. Yes, its probably not going to be canon. But hey, it makes sense in some/most places.

I started typing this at 12:15...its now 1:05. AM, yes. So this is the product of my tired mind. However, I hope you find it satisfactory, comprehensible, and sensible. Comments, questions, critiques, and the like are welcome.

noob1234

tired? that makes 2 of us. i'll reread it again tomorrow, when i can actually comprehend it ;D
blue zorch... try scottholman in chex quest generation 2 and press key #8 ;)

ChexCommander

Quote from: noob1234 on May 15, 2010, 02:24:58 AM
blue zorch... try scottholman in chex quest generation 2 and press key #8 ;)

That zorcher was amazing. I loved all of Slime's new weapons.

Uh...I'll read that when I have free time to understand all of it, like noob. ;)