Chex Quest 3: Vanilla Edition Dev Thread

Started by Melodic Spaceship, December 23, 2023, 10:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Melodic Spaceship

This is a project I've already brought up in other corners of the internet, but I figured it would only be fair to properly announce it to the actual Chex Quest community. Here's a screenshot of it:

Basically, this is an attempt to backport the official Chex Quest 3 over to vanilla. This is not actually a mod of the original Chex Quest, but rather of Ultimate Doom using a trick involving secret exits to shorten episode lengths and with a special DeHackEd patch applied which is mostly a recreation of Chex 3's DECORATE stuff. It can also run as standalone in some ports.

I released a trailer for it a few months ago on YouTube, which can be found here (the description and pinned comment also contain a bit more info about the mod):

So far, the entirety of the first and second episodes have been converted to vanilla (though a few levels may still need to be touched up a little) as well as the first three levels of the third episode. For the first episode, since I couldn't cut down that episode's length to any lower than 7 levels I also added small levels before and after the "real" 5 levels which serve as rough representations of the intro/ending cinematics. I'm hoping they can eventually also have MIDI versions of the intro/ending cutscene's background music but I'm not that good at music transcription despite my other music skills.

I'll try to post updates about this project to this thread whenever further developments happen.

Richie

This is awesome!  Just let me know if you need a sub-forum.

Melodic Spaceship

I just began work on Provincial Park. So far it's just the "raw" conversion plus the preparation of the needed textures.

One thing I would like to mention is that in order to get the "raw" conversions that I then clean up and edit down for vanilla compatibility, I programmed a special converter script to convert Hexen format maps (which is what CQ3 uses) to the original Doom format. Initially, the maps were converted by opening a map in chex3.wad, selecting everything and copying it, and then pasting it into a Doom format map. This didn't work as well since SLADE (which is what I actually use for mapping as well as WAD management) doesn't properly re-adjust values like line specials to work the same way in the Doom format. My own converter script handles this properly by mapping certain combinations of Hexen format specials, arguments and activations to specific Doom format specials.

I might consider releasing the conversion script I made too sometime, but do note that it's written in the Ruby programming language which is hard to set up outside of Unix-based operating systems (though not impossible).