Chex Quest 3 is now available for download!!!

Started by Chukker, September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Searcher

The creator of "A Miner Catastrophe". http://www.chexquest.org/index.php?board=43.0

Hey guys look! Its a giant mushroom, maybe its friendly! :D

notanerd

Quote from: Chukker on September 06, 2008, 06:41:17 PM
You can grab it at www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/ChexQuest3.zip.

Whew... it's been a while on this little hobby project. While I could easily polish and add features forever, I need step away and let it be. The game is in a very presentable form, so GO GET IT! Thanks to a little technical support from yet another DC original, Scott Holman, this game is a standalone application. You do not need to download ZDoom! The exe and IWAD are all part of the download. Unzip and play!

Feel free to begin threads about bugs and other things you feel should be corrected. I will try to address any serious bugs quickly, but all polish and other feature suggestions probably will be put off for a time. Make sure you try out Chex 1 and 2 for some new suprises here and there.

Thanks again Chex Quest fans for all your enthusiasm! It has helped me stay motivated and get this done. I hope you all enjoy the sequel!

Okay, I'm kind of new to this thing so I have a few questions:
Is it free to download?
When you download it, does it seriously slow down your computer?

Sorry if I might be re-asking any questions, I'm just excited! lol
Chuck Norris homeschools, 'nuff said!

The Slimeinator

Yes, and I don't know. I guess it depends on your computer.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

Loremaster

It is free.

It does not slow down your computer, unless you are running on a pre-pentium machine.
Did we really just spend the last decade talking about Chex Quest? Yes. Yes we did.

I regret nothing!

Chukker

The Chex Quest 3 download is now updated with a new version that is compatible with ZDoom/GZDoom. Many thanks to the ZDoom team members who made the necessary changes to chex3.wad and added support in zdoom.exe for both this and the original chex.wad. I also grabbed the latest SVN code and compiled a new chex3.exe, but the changes are extremely minor. The experience playing through zdoom is pretty much the same. I tried to reconcile my previous bug fixes into this version of chex3.wad, but I probably missed some. Feel free to point them out in the other thread.

www.chucktropolis.com/downloads/ChexQuest3.zip

ChexCommander

WAHOOOOO!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!

Chuck, this is an early Christmas present! Thanks for the work, I'll play through the whole thing right now!
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

TheMasterOfBattle

Quote from: ChexCommander on September 17, 2008, 04:32:59 PM
WAHOOOOO!!!! YOU DID IT!!!!

Chuck, this is an early Christmas present! Thanks for the work, I'll play through the whole thing right now!

Hehe, only about 10 days late CC. XD

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Strife

I've been swamped with schoolwork lately, but last night at around 11pm, I finally got the spare time to sit down, download, and play through the entire CQ trilogy.

Here are my thoughts and comments as I played through it. I won't mention a lot of bugs, since most of them have been covered by others here, or have been fixed (since I played through the latest version).

- I noticed right away that the commonus and bipedicus could no longer attack from a distance. I had always found it unusual that the flemmies could slime you from far away in TUCQ, and while the extra range made the game more challenging for us veteran zorchers, it just didn't feel the same to me. To sum it up, i'm glad that they're back to sliming at close range. ^_^ Not only does it stay true to the original games, but it also makes the game a lot more completable on Super Slimey. (Hitscan attacks were always the hardest to avoid, since Nightmare mode buffed up the accuracy of monsters who used them.)

- In other CQ mods, the flemmies played zorch sounds when they attacked, which didn't make much sense. In that case, I loved the fact that you replaced the zorch sounds with a slime sound. Now you can actually hear when a flemmie is trying to snot you from behind. ^_^

- On the note of sounds, I noticed a slight bug. Sometimes when a commonus or bipedicus is zoched, it plays the Cycloptis' attacking noise instead of the "I got zorched!" noise. It could just be the standalone engine you used, though.

- Another thing I noticed about the standalone engine is that when you're attacked, the screen doesn't flash green unless it's an extremely powerful blow, such as the final boss's slime balls. It could just be my graphic settings, but has anyone else noticed this?

- The graphical changes you made to Chex City in Episode 2 are absolutely fantastic! The signs and billboards were moved on top of the buildings, so it felt a lot less like walking through a Chex advertisement. xD Also, the new city background is a lot more believable than the original one because the buildings have a more realistic structure and shape to them.

- The difficulty curve of the entire CQ trilogy is perfect. I flew through Episode 1 without a breaking a sweat, which I expected for the first episode. Episode 2 was a little trickier - there were a few times where I almost got cemented to the ground in defeat. Episode 3 really, really kicked my butt, but even so, I still had a lot of fun with it. xD

- Episode 3 blew me away. The levels are longer and tougher than the first two episodes, and they all have a greater sense of depth to them. You can definitely tell that the Chex Warrior is reaching the final stretches of his adventure just by looking at the size and scope of some of the rooms and the number of flemoids in them. The only thing that bothered me is the recycled music from previous episodes, but i'm sure Andrew Benson and I will be able to remedy that in due time. ^_^

- FOUR. NEW. FLEMOIDS! Four!? =o Holy hyperspace! Now the Chex Quest universe has full replacements for all of the original Doom monsters! The Stridius (I think that's the name of the tall, lanky flemoids) especially scared the heck out of me whenever I encountered them. It may just be another close-range flemmie, but its massive height and extremely fast moving speed kept me constantly on the run as I tried to search for ammo to zorch it with. The giant creature at the end of E3M3 was really clever too, and it put up quite a fight before finally giving in and returning to its home dimension. The Lost Soul replacements were as annoying as ever, but they were used rarely and at strategic points in the game, so I didn't mind when I faced them.

- The final boss, like the Cyberdemon from Doom, took a lot of time and ammo to take down and was pretty challenging, but it wasn't very intimidating and left me wanting more. I think it would be more fitting if the boss had a better set of sound effects - maybe some kind of loud roar or shriek, or something that makes it distinguishable from the rest of the flemoids and lets the player know immediately that they're in the presence of the strongest creature in the game. Another way to add to the intensity of the fight would be to play around with the lighting, perhaps by making most of the room extremely dark except for the center area where the boss first appears. These are only suggestions, though. As it stands, the boss fight in Episode 3 is the best one out of the entire trilogy, so I won't be disappointed if it remains the way it is. ^_^

Long story short... Chex Quest 3 was a very memorable experience that I won't soon forget. I feel like after all these years, CQ finally got the ultimate conclusion it deserved, and better yet, it made me feel something that I haven't felt in a long time about a computer game. It's like a sense of fear and intensity that completely wraps around you, shutting out all outside forces and making you feel like you're in an intense dream - making you feel like the game's universe is the only universe that exists. Even if it was only for a few hours, it was still an awesome feeling. This feeling was the reason I fell in love with the Doom games in the first place, and with Chex Quest all those years ago.

Assuming i'm not the only person here who got that feeling... thank you, Chukker, for helping us revive the experience once more. ^_^ Kudos!

The Slimeinator

STRIFE WINS UBER POINTS.

Yes, I concur with each and every one of your expressions in that epic post.
Sometimes you've got to go where everybody knows your name.

James 1:5

TheMasterOfBattle

xbolt

TheMasterOfBattle

Strife

Thanks guys. ^_^

I'm just letting Chukker know that all of the work he put into the CQ3 project was well worth it. It's not every day that a decade-old computer game gets revived on a scale like this, especially one like Chex Quest that was so successful and fun to play.

Sm

Wow, I check up on the Chex Quest online community every few months (only as a lurker) and discovering this had just been released was quite a cool surprise!  Having played Chex 1 & 2 excessively as a child, this was quite exciting and nostalgic for me. (I have most of the cheat codes memorized from those days... charlesjacobi, the no clipping mode, comes to mind)  Very cool stuff, and way to go for completing a large project like this!

-Sm

Josh

you know it we have kept a game that you win free in a cereal box alive