Chex Quest related oddities.

Started by Manny Cav, September 20, 2008, 07:49:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChexCommander

There are some times when you Need Photoshop, or at least GIMP, it's a very good program....
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Anyone who tries to make models for decent looking weapons for CQ realizes immediately how lame paint's selection of colors and tools are
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

ChexCommander

Lame is the word. Seriously, only 28 colors and no gradients or anything of the sort? Paint is seriously lacking, but I guess it's okay for very minor touchups...

And for games....yeah. Chukker made the Super Cycloptis in Photoshop, and I've seen some stuff in GIMP, and it looks quite good.

Replica

You guys fail it. Double click the colors in paint. ;)
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

arch129

Quote from: ChexCommander on February 18, 2009, 07:53:44 PM
Lame is the word. Seriously, only 28 colors and no gradients or anything of the sort? Paint is seriously lacking, but I guess it's okay for very minor touchups...

And for games....yeah. Chukker made the Super Cycloptis in Photoshop, and I've seen some stuff in GIMP, and it looks quite good.

There is way more than just 28 colors in MS Paint, the problem is that people don't know how to use MS Paint.

Look at this video.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Replica on February 18, 2009, 09:30:06 PM
You guys fail it.
Ahem.
Quote from: RichieREGARDING FAIL:

From this point forward, "Failing" people is not allowed outside of Off Topic Discussions and Forum Games.  If a "Fail" is found outside of these sections, it will be deleted; no exceptions.  Within these sections, it shall not be used to an extreme.  Please be mindful of what you say to people, for some individuals take sarcasm differently than others

Anyways, no offense taken.  ;)

Quote from: arch129 on February 18, 2009, 09:31:03 PM
Quote from: ChexCommander on February 18, 2009, 07:53:44 PM

There is way more than just 28 colors in MS Paint, the problem is that people don't know how to use MS Paint.
Oh wow, a standard color palette with hue/saturation selector....I still don't see any gradients, filters, layer masks, etc.  Of course, like I said, MS Paint is good for basic fixes/edits, making FAIL signs for demotivational posters and the like, but there are some things I just wouldn't choose to do in Paint.

Atariangamer

How do you think they did all the art for the older games? They didn't have thousands of tools, they just put pixels together.

Anyone can create something cool looking in Photoshop...it takes someone special to make something cool in Paint. and guess what? Gradients, filters, and layer masks can be done in Paint. There just isnt a one-click-does-all button for it like all other editors.

STOP SLAMMING MY OLD SKOOL. I will fight back. ;) :D
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

My lovely paint creation

how on EARTH did they make good 3D effects? I can make decent looking weapons, but I've always been terrible at drawing people-like things.
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Replica

Quote from: ChexCommander on February 19, 2009, 06:31:02 PM
Quote from: Replica on February 18, 2009, 09:30:06 PM
You guys fail it.
Ahem.
Quote from: RichieREGARDING FAIL:

From this point forward, "Failing" people is not allowed outside of Off Topic Discussions and Forum Games.  If a "Fail" is found outside of these sections, it will be deleted; no exceptions.  Within these sections, it shall not be used to an extreme.  Please be mindful of what you say to people, for some individuals take sarcasm differently than others

Anyways, no offense taken.  ;)

O_o Sorry, I forgot. XD

Creating things in paint isn't hard, it's just alittle longer. IDK about any body else, but I use pixil by pixil art. (I suck though.) :'(

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Pbp takes FOREVER. I'm a pretty impatient person, so that's why I don't use Paint much. I guess I see now that it has some potential.   ;) (After Atarian gave me a stern talking to XD)

Quote from: Atariangamer on February 19, 2009, 10:30:28 PM
How do you think they did all the art for the older games? They didn't have thousands of tools, they just put pixels together.

Anyone can create something cool looking in Photoshop...it takes someone special to make something cool in Paint. and guess what? Gradients, filters, and layer masks can be done in Paint. There just isnt a one-click-does-all button for it like all other editors.

STOP SLAMMING MY OLD SKOOL. I will fight back. ;) :D
Hey, no slamming intended.  :D

And that's true, that it takes someone special to be a Paint Master.  And I guess gradients, etc, are all possible, but, once again, in more than one step, and I'm not the type with the patience to build model cars or make the Mona Lisa in MS Paint.

Note: Just looked up how to make gradients in Paint. Only 5 steps. Not bad.  ;)

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on October 17, 2008, 12:09:50 PM
A CQ3 beta...on CQ.com before the stolen one and the official? wow...

I believe ya, but do ya have any of those 'refrences' on ya?

EDIT: Whoops, that link said it, and I wasn't lookin...
...managed to bring some closure to the trilogy by finishing off the beta version of the game...
This seems to be a general mindset or misunderstanding, because I was browsing around for Chex Quest stuff for my website and came across this:
The developer put up the beta version of Chex Quest 3 game for free download on their website (now defunct), along with a blurb about an upcoming Chex Quest 4 that was never finished. The game is complete, though, and no obvious bugs are apparent. In addition to the same wacky gameplay from the first two games, Chex Quest 3 includes new weapons, such as a clone of the super shotgun from Doom II, and several new monsters. In 2008, Charles Jacobi, a former team member of Chex Quest’s developer, Digital Cafe, completed his hobby project, Chex Quest 3. Five new maps blasting through the Chex universe plus five new flemoids and lots of great detail gives for a solid set of maps.
It's looking like they're confusing the stolen Chex Quest 3 and the real one, because the real one has nothing to do with the old one to my knowledge. Is there a real connection, was there an actual Chex Quest 3 beta, or are they just confusing the stolen Chex Quest 3 with the real one?

EDIT: I had to chop the link because it contained some questionable downloads (warez, in a word). However, they did link to the Chex Quest 3 Chex Quest Wiki page, so I linked them back there.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Replica

I think most of the sites think that Chucker just completed the stolen one. I had ran into that same thing on another website before. BTW, Where in the world do people get that the stolen one was orginally on the CQ website, and it was made by DC?

ChexCommander

QFT to both of you.  I think people thought that the stolen one was a beta, and now he finally finished it...which makes NO sense. There is no "super-shotgun" in the real one, nor are the weapons the same at all, save for the spoon and Mini-Zorcher.

And yeah, where'd they get this stuff about CQ3 and CQ4? I highly doubt Chuck did anything with the stolen one.

Manny Cav

While on Google Images, I discovered some interesting stuff on deviantART. Look at what emilyanncoons has on there:
Can anybody spot the failures in these images (besides the quality, but according to her own profile, she's a beginner artist, so I won't hold that against her :P)? She strikes me as the type that hasn't played Chex Quest in years and is not even aware that a fan community exists.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

TheMasterOfBattle

Hehe I see just a few. XD

I lolled at the chex quest weapons picture though, especially at the super boot sport reading as super boots pork. XD

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.