If you made Chex Quest 4...

Started by TrueDude, March 22, 2010, 03:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrueDude

Quote from: Chukker on April 05, 2010, 12:15:49 PM
I am thinking using the UDK might be the way to go. Of all the modern commercial FPS engines, it has the most documentation and from my experience the best art-to-engine pipeline. I put my chex warrior model into the editor and started playing around with materials and an outliner. Getting a true toon shader will be a trick. Just curious, do we have any Unreal modders out there?

That's be awesome if you could get that working as a player model!

So, is this what the next CQ game will be worked on? The UDK engine? It is one of the best, though I wouldn't personally know, never worked with it. :P

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Chukker

Quote from: TrueDude on April 16, 2010, 10:53:07 PM
So, is this what the next CQ game will be worked on? The UDK engine? It is one of the best, though I wouldn't personally know, never worked with it. :P

If it did it would have to be a large, coordinated effort with many people. Unlike Doom modding the amount of time it takes to generate all the content for a modern game in the UDK is beyond the capabilities of any one person, regardless of how skilled they might be. And such a project would require at least one skilled UnrealScript programmer. Still it is a easily accessible engine with lots of documentation and tutorials available online so I have been playing around with it. Thus far I have just been making models and experimenting with materials. I modelled up a commonus, as seen below. Unfortunately neither it nor Chexter have been rigged or animated yet.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Chukker on April 17, 2010, 08:22:05 AM

If it did it would have to be a large, coordinated effort with many people. Unlike Doom modding the amount of time it takes to generate all the content for a modern game in the UDK is beyond the capabilities of any one person, regardless of how skilled they might be. And such a project would require at least one skilled UnrealScript programmer. Still it is a easily accessible engine with lots of documentation and tutorials available online so I have been playing around with it. Thus far I have just been making models and experimenting with materials. I modelled up a commonus, as seen below. Unfortunately neither it nor Chexter have been rigged or animated yet.

THIS.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

That looks cool! What kind of shading effect is that, anyway? Fits the model, but looks kinda weird on the gun...unless that's celshading...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Chukker

The material is complicated. It's based off of the material in this tutorial:
http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament-3/tutorials/tf2-shading-in-ut3
I've made some changes and am still working on it. Ideally I would like to achieve a true "ink & paint" look but so far no luck. The gun is the original Unreal 3 linkgun, so it would look odd under my custom render settings.

matthias720

:whale :caineware :ninjaware :whale :caineware :ninjaware

arch129

Quote from: Chukker on April 17, 2010, 01:18:59 PM
Ideally I would like to achieve a true "ink & paint" look but so far no luck.

That would be awesome if you can get that way.

LAZ Trooper

Use the CQ IRC channel! (were it working...)

Current Projects:
Chex Quest: The Great Invasion (on hold)
Chex Quest Skulltag Pack - mapper
The Chex Crusades: Return to Bazoik
Map of Epic (unannounced. If you notice this and ask about, good for you. You won't get any information. And I am out o

Quote from: Chukker on April 17, 2010, 01:18:59 PM
The material is complicated. It's based off of the material in this tutorial:
http://www.moddb.com/games/unreal-tournament-3/tutorials/tf2-shading-in-ut3
I've made some changes and am still working on it. Ideally I would like to achieve a true "ink & paint" look but so far no luck. The gun is the original Unreal 3 linkgun, so it would look odd under my custom render settings.

How did you get into 3d rendering? What books did you use? I'm trying to do that.

I know Console C++, and I'm learning C# right now. Do you have any suggestions for where I should start to learn how to do 3d games? I've never done any game programming I'm not very sure where to go from here. I'm just a good C++ programmer right now.

Also, do you know of any good books for drawing?
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

TrueDude

If it did it would have to be a large, coordinated effort with many people. Unlike Doom modding the amount of time it takes to generate all the content for a modern game in the UDK is beyond the capabilities of any one person, regardless of how skilled they might be. And such a project would require at least one skilled UnrealScript programmer. Still it is a easily accessible engine with lots of documentation and tutorials available online so I have been playing around with it...
In the meantime, you could make a final Chex Quest game to fill in the fourth episode of the Chex 1/2/3 IWAD as a side-project to this? Man I wish I could make that sound less like nagging, and more like an actual suggestion to finish replacing all levels of Ultimate Doom. (Besides post-EXM5 levels) I hope I'm not coming off as a jerk. :-\

Atariangamer

Well, the original Doom only had 3 episodes
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Datra

Chukker, to say I'm amazed is a massive understatement. But then again I shouldn't expect anything less from the pro. Keep up the great work dude ;)

P.S. How exactly did you do the slime detail? It's really good.
CQHD Community Dev

Chukker

Quote from: 75 on April 17, 2010, 09:32:05 PM
How did you get into 3d rendering? What books did you use? I'm trying to do that.

I know Console C++, and I'm learning C# right now. Do you have any suggestions for where I should start to learn how to do 3d games? I've never done any game programming I'm not very sure where to go from here. I'm just a good C++ programmer right now.

Also, do you know of any good books for drawing?

I didn't do any of the 3D rendering, just modeling. I use the game engine to render the images. Most 3D graphics programmers I work with in the games industry have computer science degrees from 4-year colleges. Learning to draw... best advice I can give is practice drawing quite a lot. It's not really a skill you learn from a book.

noob1234

jeez yah, that is the BEST 3D FLEMOID I HAVE EVAR SEEN!!!!!!!!!1!!!!! :whale :whale :whale chuck ur awesome.