Strange MIDI files found on the Chex Quest CD.

Started by Manny Cav, April 27, 2009, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Manny Cav

Hey, Atari, I want to test those Mac Doom MIDI files out for myself and see what I can make of them. Could you link me to a download?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

Well, if they're corrupted beyond play, hand recovery may be necessary.

But ask both of them. They both might know a bit.
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Chukker browses the forums enough to notice something like this, but I think drooben might need a ring.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

drooben

You rang? (Thanks for the heads' up, Manny.)

Hey All,

I'm not sure what those MIDI files are. My best guess is that they are empty "placeholder" files that were never replaced or used. It is entirely possible that by not replacing those with actual music, something doesn't play when it's supposed to in a certain setup. To put it lightly, the Q/A period on this was pretty brief and I'm sure things got missed. Or, maybe it was just an unneeded leftover from DOOM.

Having said that, you all know more about the ins and outs of the code than I do. The process for submitting music was -- once I had a final track, I'd send it to the programmers to place with the appropriate level. Beyond that superficial understanding of how the music actually got into the game, I couldn't tell you :)

Good Rickroll, though.

Andrew

Atariangamer

Manny Cav

Ha ha, Rickroll. :D So, I'm taking this to mean that the files are junk...?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

TheMasterOfBattle

You wouldn't know because you couldn't watch Flurb's video.  It plays 10 seconds of CQ style music.  Then starts playing Never Going To Give You Up Rick Astley, and the CQ guy says you got rickrolled then starts singing along with the lyrics. :P

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

Manny Cav

R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

TheMasterOfBattle

Lucikly, I didn't get caught, as I knew he was doing it. :P

*edit* 3000th post FTW!

Forgotten I may be, my legend will live on.

ChexCommander

"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Hehe.

BTW, Cav...I missed your post about wanting to try the Macintosh Doom. It'll take a while to get archived and uploaded, but it'll be worth it. Its a REALLY different experience. But if you have...a day or two to wait, I can get it to ya.

I just thought of a few things (not to aid the MIDI revocary, but to better the Mac CQ experince)...
I'll add a doom wad to the directory (so you can have a comparison), and I'll put in a set of 4 MUSIC folders:
1. CQ CD MIDs *BROKEN, AFAIK*
2. CQ CD MIDs *named in the WAD format (e.g. D_E1M1)*
3. CQ WAD MUSs *named in the format of the CD MIDs*
4. CQ WAD MUSs *named in the WAD format*
5. CQ MIDI CONVERTS *named in the WAD format*
6. CQ MIDI CONVERTS *named in the format of the CD MIDs*

You can then switch them in and out per needed test.
Also, I'll give ya a quick tutorial in how to actually use the emulator and how to get stuff going.

Wodd

Quote from: Manny CavThey won't play in either Windows Media Player or QuickTime, and XWE won't accept them as either valid MIDI files or valid MUS files.
If they are midi files, try using Modplug Tracker[/quote]. If they are MUS files, then I do not believe that will not help.
"Cast your burden upon the Lord." (Psalm 55:22, Daysies, April 6)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Daysies, March 10)

try winamp or VLC player, they play all sorts of weird formats
"Give us those nice bright colors, give us the greens of summer, makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

You can find me on the CQFF discord: https://discord.gg/AgNhjem

Wodd

Winamp is great for IMF files (such as those used in Commander Keen 4-6), although I think that I found the latest plug-in for that a tad bit odd in comparison to some earlier ones. I have also had no success in converting thtem to wav files. It appears that I will have to do a Bing search on that one after submitting this.
"Cast your burden upon the Lord." (Psalm 55:22, Daysies, April 6)
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:13, Daysies, March 10)