Strange MIDI files found on the Chex Quest CD.

Started by Manny Cav, April 27, 2009, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blzut3

I tried running those MIDI files on my Performa 6220CD and they didn't work.  If an actual Macintosh from that time doesn't play them I don't know what will.  Of course Mac OS 8 is really finicky about running files so if I actually had the chex quest CD (or an image of it) I might be able to get it to play.

That said there is probably nothing overly special about them.  The macintosh version of Doom had all of the music in a separate folder named "music".  Interestingly the Macintosh version of the Ultimate Doom included the music from Doom 2.  (Maybe so the PC version can be used on the Mac?)

Manny Cav

You can find the full Chex Quest CD at my website. Just go here.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

OK, I just finished the installl of 7.5.3 and the upgrade to 7.5.5.

I've sucessfully run Mac Doom (works VERY ODD, you wont believe the control scheme...no arrow keys or shift, IJKL and F, with Space. ><

But the music is definetly different. If I can get CQ running good enough, I'll load up a sound recorder or something...
BTW, Richie found that MACINTOS is pretty big...Hes now trying to Upload to MediaFire. I should get results soon...
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

It's big because it also happens to contain the Chex Quest videos and an old version of QuickTime, if I'm not mistaken.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

...Chex Quest played fine. Sounds and all. But the MIDI didn't. I'm going to try that Quicktime, if its there...mebe the new version will work.

Otherwise, Mebe there's a way to reverse engineer MIDIs...
UPDATE:
I think its corrupt. ><
All of the QuickTime files are broken, all of the text files unreadable.
I will try to get another Quicktime, but IDK...The DOOM music didn't have any trouble.

Flurb

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 28, 2009, 11:24:14 PM
...Chex Quest played fine. Sounds and all. But the MIDI didn't. I'm going to try that Quicktime, if its there...mebe the new version will work.

Otherwise, Mebe there's a way to reverse engineer MIDIs...
UPDATE:
I think its corrupt. ><
All of the QuickTime files are broken, all of the text files unreadable.
I will try to get another Quicktime, but IDK...The DOOM music didn't have any trouble.

Wow, you're really making some progress. Hey, if you get the sound recorder to work, would you be able to PM me itunes playable versions so I can post them on the youtube chex music chanel?

Atariangamer

Yeah, I'd say its corrupted. Quicktime 4.0.3 detects them as playable, but for 0:00 seconds.

So...IDK.

Flurb

ChexCommander

Wait....but didn't you say the music was different, Atari? So did you get to hear them, and just not play them on their own?
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

No, sorry for being kinda vague...

The music for DooM was kinda different. It had what felt like planned breaks in the song. The intro music didn't do it, and no other sounds do it, so I guess it was planned. Also, the instrument set was NOTHING like i've heard before.

Due to this, I was thinking that MAYBE the CQ music was a little different, be it caused by the engine or programed into the song. Its most likely not, tho.

BTW, Manny, you were talking about quality being lost and the like...But how? MUS called up OPL or some other type of wavetable synthesis, why should changing the container of this data make it any different? If it calls for Instrument 5, Note 245, Velocity 86, Pitch +15%, Legnth 45, what difference does it make if a MIDI file calls it up?

I've never noticed any difference, EXCEPT for the sound. Emulated OPL and older Wavetables do sound different, but a new wavetable, called by any format, sounds the same. What should I be looking for as differences?

Manny Cav

The worst MUS corruption I've ever seen was a 50% slash off of the tempo. Even at that, converting a MIDI file to MUS and back doesn't recreate the original MIDI file. Doom Wiki also says that there are other restrictions on the MUS format. MUS is not a completely lossless conversion.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

AH. I thought MUS came first. FAIL ON MY PART ><

I'm assuming you saw this. Maybe if we could find a way to extract the data in something that resembles that format...maybe we could try to salvage the parts and transplant it into an existing MUS and try to listen?

UPDATE: Bad news.

Quote from: Anvil Studio Support
Sorry, but this is not a MIDI song file, even though someone gave it the
.MID filename extension.

Unless they didn't check for MUS possibilities, that shuts down ALOT.

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Atariangamer

I could almost be certain Manny has asked, but I'll wait till he confirms this (and he has better ways with words than I do, so he'd better do it XD)

But I wouldn't think the artist would have much to do with the final production/music aspects...

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 29, 2009, 04:58:03 PM
I'm assuming you saw this. Maybe if we could find a way to extract the data in something that resembles that format...maybe we could try to salvage the parts and transplant it into an existing MUS and try to listen?
I haven't seen that. My mission was not to decode the MUS format (I just knew it was different), but to try to see if there was a way to play these files.
Quote from: Atariangamer on April 29, 2009, 06:16:52 PM
I could almost be certain Manny has asked, but I'll wait till he confirms this (and he has better ways with words than I do, so he'd better do it XD)
I haven't asked Chukker. This is more of a "drooben" (Andrew Benson) question than a "Chukker" question.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010