Strange MIDI files found on the Chex Quest CD.

Started by Manny Cav, April 27, 2009, 12:21:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manny Cav

I've always wondered about some strange MIDI files found on the Chex CD. I think it's time for me to finally work on shedding some light on this.

The files can be found in E[or whatever your CD directory is]:\MACINTOS\BONUS\MUSIC. I've also uploaded them here for your convenience. They won't play in either Windows Media Player or QuickTime, and XWE won't accept them as either valid MIDI files or valid MUS files. There's also a file at F:\MACINTOS\README.TXT that describes the music like this:
Quote from: README.TXT
Also, you will find a folder of MIDI music files.  Place these files into
the Music folder within your Doom Folder.  Again, make sure you make
a backup copy of each duplicate MIDI music file, or these will replace
the original MIDI music files.
The files were obviously meant to be played with the original Doom engine (or possibly Doom 95). However, I just can't get anything out of them.

Can anybody here help me solve yet another Chex Quest puzzle?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Hm, very interesting. I must take a look at this. I'll see if I can get it working.
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

Atariangamer

Maybe the answer is in the Macintosh Doom. Where on EARTH do you find that? (If you can get me a link, I know how to get a Mac System 7 emulated enough to run Marathon (so doom should be fine).

They are most likely just OLD Mac encoded. A new Quicktime wouldn't work, and as I said, I could probably get a System 7 up. (its free and legal, AFAIK)

Also, they arent being detected as normal .MIDs...Something is different with these. (BTW, I'm using XMPlay with the MIDI plugin with soundfont output)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.

Manny Cav

Quote from: Atariangamer on April 27, 2009, 04:03:54 PM
Maybe the answer is in the Macintosh Doom. Where on EARTH do you find that? (If you can get me a link, I know how to get a Mac System 7 emulated enough to run Marathon (so doom should be fine).
The CD I was referring to was the Chex Quest CD. Sorry if that wasn't clear enough. Read the first post again on details where these files can be found.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

I think he was wondering where you can find Macintosh DooM, in order to see if the music is playable with that.

Manny Cav

Whoops. Yeah, I think you're right. I really didn't know that there WAS a Macintosh Doom until just now. So, I'm to take it that these "MIDI" files are actually for the Macintosh, were provided only for the Macintosh Doom, and can't be used on Windows in a normal or productive way?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Well, seeing as CQ was available for the mac (on the same cd, it even had installation instructions on the sleeve), it can be assumed that DooM was as well.

I'm not really sure whether we can open 'em in Windows, but if anyone knows how, it's Atari.

Replica

I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

ChexCommander

Quote from: Replica on April 28, 2009, 08:38:00 AM
Personally, I think the files are corrupted. :-\

What would be the point of putting corrupted files on a cd? Don't you think they would test they stuff out beforehand?

Replica

Well, they did mess up the names of the Flemoids on the original website.
I know what you're thinking. No, I don't like peanut butter.

If I had to choose between the real world or the Chex Quest Fan forums; I'd choose the Chex Quest fan forums.

Flurb

Hey guys, I downloaded the files Manny uploaded  and was able to make this!

Manny Cav

How in the big blue wet thing did you manage to make THAT? Instructions, if you care?

EDIT: That's actually Strife's cq_final.mid. I'll kick teh bucket if that's actually what the first of those strange MIDIs sound like.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

Atariangamer

O_o So its fake...

But I found a Doom Shareware for mac made in 1997...but IDK if thats it or not. I *KNOW* I saw it earlier...

Quote from: WikipediaMac OS

The Ultimate Doom and Doom II were released in 1995 by GT Interactive using a Mac OS launcher application to run original PC WADs. The Mac version only runs on Mac OS System 7 through 9.

Bingo...But where on earth is the actual file!
And for those wondering, here's how.

Flurb

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 28, 2009, 09:46:50 PM
How in the big blue wet thing did you manage to make THAT? Instructions, if you care?

EDIT: That's actually Strife's cq_final.mid. I'll kick teh bucket if that's actually what the first of those strange MIDIs sound like.
Quote from: Atariangamer on April 28, 2009, 10:12:33 PM
O_o So its fake...

But I found a Doom Shareware for mac made in 1997...but IDK if thats it or not. I *KNOW* I saw it earlier...

Quote from: WikipediaMac OS

The Ultimate Doom and Doom II were released in 1995 by GT Interactive using a Mac OS launcher application to run original PC WADs. The Mac version only runs on Mac OS System 7 through 9.

Bingo...But where on earth is the actual file!
And for those wondering, here's how.
So you found me out! XD But i didn't actually say I used any of the files to make the video.  ;)

Atariangamer

LOL

And btw...

found it
Now I gotta get the CQ ISO again...or can someone with a heart upload the MACINTOS folder?

UPDATE: 2 things...

1. Richie said he'll upload the MACINTOS directory to the Gallery. So thats covered.
2. I just thought of something. SHAREWARE DOESN"T LET YOU PLAY MODS! Unless...placing a full DOOM.WAD in the same directory will fix it...