ModDB guys, check it out.

Started by wiweeyum, April 10, 2009, 08:04:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChexCommander

Oh wow, I just watched the videos for Chex Trek, and that really looks great! A lot of textures replaced, the weapons were Doom but okay, and it looked great! Wow, I'm hoping for even better in VioFlem now! Even that beta of Chex Trek was sweet! It's a pity I don't have Doom 3....
"I don't cook, either. Not as long as they still deliver pizza." -Tiger Woods

wiweeyum

Yeah, Tie Fighter kicks some serious fanny. I love the no direction is up feeling ti has. I grew up with that game as well.

brain candy

I just watched those videos as well.... freaking epic! It looked fantastic! I loved seeing the CQ universe in a more fluid, realistic environment. Total craziness.

Oh and TIE Fighter was the absolute best when I was little.  :D

wiweeyum

So uh, bringing the topic back on topic...

How about getting some files up on ModDB? The Chex Quest community is pretty dang secluded. Awareness is the key to keeping this community alive.

Manny Cav

You mean like a beta or something? If so, where can I download what I need to play it? Last I heard, this was going to be on the Source engine. Can I get that for free, or do I need to pay for it?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wiweeyum

I guess I didn't explain it very well in the first place. ModDB is a site where they cater to game developers. I created a profile for Chex Quest, I didn't even want to talk about VioFlem in the first place when I posted here. :P

Members can go create profiles for games that have a community of modders that prefer that game as their modding medium. So I went and created a Chex Quest profile, then uploaded the compact version of Chex Quest from Manny's site (which is absolutely amazing Manny) so that people could find the CQ profile and have a download available. I added a few videos, so people could get a feel for what CQ is before dowloading it. That's all hunky dory, but the main purpose of the site is to be able to search for Chex Quest, then click the 'mods' button and see all the fan made projects.

That's where you guys come in. The place has tons of visitors, and any time you create a mod profile (for those big projects) or just add an addon for a map or something, it'll go on the front page where it's visible to the 15,000+ viewers per day. People leave comments, and stuff like that. It really increases the chances of people actually playing your stuff. I don't really know how better to explain it, other than that it isn't like any other site you've ever been on. They've struck a formula that gets your files out there... every time. If you put the time into making sure it's professionaly presented, people will download and play your mods.

So, go take a look. Really, I think it'll be a great way to get people to remember Chex Quest and why it was made.

EDIT: I sound like an advertisement... ugh. But seriously, the only reason I sound that way is because it's amazing.

Manny Cav

Quote from: wiweeyum on April 14, 2009, 04:47:03 PM
I guess I didn't explain it very well in the first place. ModDB is a site where they cater to game developers. I created a profile for Chex Quest, I didn't even want to talk about VioFlem in the first place when I posted here. :P
Ha ha, whoops. I misread what you posted. :P
Members can go create profiles for games that have a community of modders that prefer that game as their modding medium. So I went and created a Chex Quest profile, then uploaded the compact version of Chex Quest from Manny's site (which is absolutely amazing Manny) so that people could find the CQ profile and have a download available. I added a few videos, so people could get a feel for what CQ is before dowloading it. That's all hunky dory, but the main purpose of the site is to be able to search for Chex Quest, then click the 'mods' button and see all the fan made projects.
You should really upload Chex Quest 3 in place of the compact download. The compact download contains the original chex.wad and chex.exe, and those really don't work well at all on modern computers. Seriously, just put up Chex Quest 3. It contains all of the original levels, and then some, in a modern engine that works on modern computers. My web host has been fluctuating in downtime, though, due to DoS attacks, malicious PHP scripts, and other violations committed by people who don't know how to run a website, so I'll just tell you that you can get it at Chucktropolis.

Also, the screenshot you uploaded of Chex Quest came from another Chex Quest mod floating around out there. It's not a true screenshot from Chex Quest, even if you got it from Doomworld. :P

That's where you guys come in. The place has tons of visitors, and any time you create a mod profile (for those big projects) or just add an addon for a map or something, it'll go on the front page where it's visible to the 15,000+ viewers per day. People leave comments, and stuff like that. It really increases the chances of people actually playing your stuff. I don't really know how better to explain it, other than that it isn't like any other site you've ever been on. They've struck a formula that gets your files out there... every time. If you put the time into making sure it's professionaly presented, people will download and play your mods.
How does this work? Would I be able to upload a mod, and say that it is a mod of Chex Quest, and tie it in with your upload of Chex Quest? My mod requires Skulltag, so would I be able to upload it, anyway?
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

wiweeyum

Well the best part is that you can edit the CQ profile yourself. When I made it, I gave the public full access to changing stuff around. I just changed the title to CHex Quest 1-3 instead of just Chex Quest, and I just deleted the compact download. I'll add CQ 3 in its place.

To add a mod, look at the top bar where it says 'mods' faded out. Click that and it'll bring you to a page where there are no mods listed. :P In the top right hand side of the mods box, click the plus. You can add your mods information there. You're basically creating a homepage for people to find information about your mod. From your own mods homepage, you can add downloads and make news posts etc.

Looking at another game should help some. We'll check out the way ModDB is set up in groups using Valve's Half-Life 2. I'll compare each group to Digital Cafe's CQ:

Valve Group Page - Here is information about the company. Big company has lots of tabs. Click on the Games tab and you'll see Half-Life 2. Click that.
Digital Cafe Group Page - Click the games tab and you'll find Chex Quest.

Half-Life 2 Game Page - From here, you get information solely on Half-Life 2. Click the mods tab, and you'll see a list of mods. From within the mods box, search for flemoid. Click Violation Flemoid.
Chex Quest Game Page - Click mods to add your own mod.

Violation Flemoid Mod Page - This is my mod. Within my mod profile, there are videos, pictures, news posts, etc. You pretty much use your profile however you want. You can add permissions for access, you can create forums for the mod, you can flesh it out with features. Most mods are in production, and you can see at the top of their mod page when they plan on releasing. If it's released, a little box shows up on the side where people can vote on your mod. The summary page shows a preview of a few pictures, your latest uploaded video, your most recent news post, and your downloads.

I'm sure you could get away with uploading any newer engine stuff into the CQ profile. Just make sure you have links to be able to play through it correctly. The source engine has the orangebox engine, lost coast engine, and soon to have the episode 3 engine. So skulltag should be just fine.

Manny Cav

Hmm. I'll examine that website further and if I like what I see, I'll get into it and kick things off.
R.I.P. The Game
January 3rd, 1937-
January 7th, 2010

ChexCommander

Quote from: Manny Cav on April 14, 2009, 02:25:29 PM
You mean like a beta or something? If so, where can I download what I need to play it? Last I heard, this was going to be on the Source engine. Can I get that for free, or do I need to pay for it?

Not to stray here, but I was wondering the same thing. Are you just gonna release the engine in with the game when you release it?

Hmm, ModDB, so we could just get some of our mods on there and try to expand our net of players? Sounds cool.

wiweeyum

Due to the legalities of modding on the big engines, you'd need to own a copy of any orangebox game to play it. So Portal, Half-Life 2: Episode 2, or Team Fortress 2. The only way I'd be able to release it standalone is if I purchase a Source engine license from valve... for a whole lot of moolah. Then I'd be dealing with copywrite issues with general mills etc, and I'd have to buy the rights from them. A whole lot of issues involved there.

My favorite part of ModDB is the front page. If you make a mod, then make a good news post, it'll get featured on the front page. The admins are very personable and reachable. It's built around the community, not the files.

ChexCommander

Ah....it has to be from the Orange Box?  :-\

I have HL2 DM and Lost Coast....hmm, well, anyways, by the time it's released I'll probably have The Orange Box...

wiweeyum

What I did was just buy portal separate straight from steam. I didn't want the other two. :P Too violent for me.

ChexCommander

Hmm...well, I thought orange box was a good deal with TF2, the HL2 eps, and Portal...but to every man his own. I'd probably be TF2-ing all day if my graphics were good enough. XD

Atariangamer

Valve, with their Half-Life series, seems to be doing what iD did so long ago with Wolf3d/Doom/Quake. They're breaking the boundaries, and doing it quite nicely. The Source engine is got to be the best thing yet. Easy to mod, like Doom, but still next gen capable (on full high, HL2:E2 is BEAUTIFUL) while remaining backwards compatible (if you can run HL2, you can play most every Source game).

Portal was THE ultimate puzzle game. With the commentary explaining why things were done, it shows that a game can be incredibly complex, but easily playable through slowly built techniques.

TF2 probably has the greatest idea of multiplayer. Several classes, all with weaknesses and strengths for every player, and a visual style that amazingly works, plus a great staff behind it making it better all the while. If anything, class based play (multi or single) is great, allowing a player to play to his strengths. (and I play it...ALOT. Although it kinda trains up a different player than what wiweeyum is creating the game for)

I'm a twitcher. Gimme a shotgun in a really dark hallway and I'll go to TOWN. Once ya gotta think about every move, it becomes something different. although it provides a new experience, I do like the ability to act on impulse and get your adrenaline pumping. With some of those shots, a rush would be great feeling, dark or light. But if you're just going around in a bright environment just blasting flemoids...That would get a bit repetitve. I'd enjoy some kind of 'scary' part. Nothing extreme, but like...narrow tunnels in the Caverns that can let out a flemoid without warning (or sticking you in the Doom3 situation...no flashlight with a weapon ><). Just keep that in mind during development, plz? (but whatever I get, i'm sure it will be great, eh?)
Don't remember me as I was...I was an idiot.